Christmas

August 17, 2011

Baking time!

Let's go back to the first part of July. I know it's about time isn't it? Angie had asked if I would make the Texas Sheet Cakes for the wedding. And of course I felt this an honor to do so. The kitchen at the White house was turning into a bakery. I have never made so many cakes in one day, hum it really makes you appreciate our fine bakers out there that get up so early every morning so we can have the yummy bakery goods that we do. I don't think I want to become a baker anytime soon. So let's get started should we. First you need all of these ingredients. And oh, I'm making 8 of them. And when it's all done it turns out something like this. First one out of the oven, it's perfect. 1 down, 7 more to go.



When Angie and I were at Orson Gigi I had picked up a couple of plastic lids for the sheet cake pans. What a nice invention the folks at Gigi's have come up with. You can now take your pans on the go with out tin foil and having your frosting stick to it. Stuart and I were in the area right before so I made him stop and get enough to go on the girl's pans that I had to borrow. Isn't this a pretty sight. And we had to wait until Saturday to eat one. The smell was heavenly around here.



And what do you do with a little of extra frosting. Well, my dad always made a sweet treat out of soda crackers and frosting. I hadn't done this in a long, long time. This is for you dad. Just how I remember them. Salt and sweet together, yummy!






I've included the recipe for the cake here, just in case the pictures were to much for you and you can't stand the temptation.



Texas Sheet Cake


Sift together: 2 cups flour


2 cups sugar


1/2 tst. salt


Bring to boil: 4 Tbsp. cocoa


2 squares margarine


1 cup water


Mix all ingredients together, add 1 cup buttermilk


2 eggs


1 tsp. soda


Bake at 400, for 20 to 25 minutes


Frost while warm.


Frosting


1 cube margarine


4 Tbsp. cocoa


6 Tbsp. canned milk


Add 1 lb. powdered sugar


1 tsp. vanilla


Enjoy everyone, we sure did! We ended up bringing 5 of them back home with us. Wow did the White house baker over estimate. But with those new handy, dandy lids they sure did stay fresh, they almost made it 2 weeks.

3 comments:

Yvonne said...

They sure look good Shannon! As does those cream crackers. Interesting combination salt & sweet!

Tracy said...

Oh my goodness I can almost smell the sweetness.
Those cake lids are perfect.

Strong said...

My mom used to give us frosting and crackers too, Love it!